Wednesday 11 May 2011

Crap week at work but good week of bike riding.

Here's what happened in the penultimate week's training before Etape Du Dales.

Monday

Plan says rest day & that is what I did.  Well when I say I rested that's not strictly true we went to Thongsbridge Tennis club as they were having an open day.  We all had a free go including the kids who had about an hours free coaching.  Thankfully the kids haven't shown too much interest, tennis lessons are a bit expensive, kind of hoping they'll stick to riding bikes.

Tuesday

Plan says 5min/off in biggest gear for an hour.

Work in the morning which wasn't great, always hard work after a bank holiday, then sleep, then got my arse out on me bike.  Slightly sore shoulder from the tennis, I'm no Raphael Nadal.

Rode out on the chain gang route to do my efforts as it's a relatively flat gradient, there's a few lights but I seemed to get lucky & miss those.  I was hoping to catch the chain gang on the way back from Sowerby Bridge but they had gone pretty quick that night & I missed them.  The lads sat on the wall just outside Sowerby Bridge took great pleasure in telling me I was last.

Wednesday

The plan says rest day.

Does doing a cyclo cross race count as resting?

Work was pretty shite as normal, then home for a quick sleep before picking the kids up from school, then got a lift from fellow Star Wheeler Graham Piccavey to the Yorkshire Summer Cyclo Cross at Oakbank School, Keighley.  Cross is something I'm hoping to get into this year after buying a 2nd hand bike in the winter from Adam Cooper.

I've done a few races before & done OK but this one was pretty technical so I was pretty rubbish.  Start was OK but I was gradually working my way backwards as the race went on, reckon I was about in about 40th place.  Graham had passed me when I had a minor crash, Andy Whitworth from local bike shop Try Cycling also went flying past while I was getting back to my feet & straightening my saddle out.  Note to self when crashing block the track then no one can get past.

After 3 laps or so the race was cancelled as Ben Pygott from Pedalsport CC had a nasty crash on one of the bankings, an Ambulance had been called as he had a head injury.  Fortunately Ben had not done too much damage, but it was quite worrying for all the riders, spectators & officials.  After a night in hospital he was discharged with concussion & heavy bruising.

Fish & Chips for tea then home.

Thursday

Plan says rest day or recovery ride.

No riding today other than to work.

KCA in the evening, our first coaching session at Richard Dunn's in Bradford.  Slightly peed off as we didn't have as much time as we'd have liked as they were using the swimming baths as a Polling Station.  Anyway we still had about an hour & did some cornering practise on the hairpin.  Only a couple of crashes!

Friday

Plan says go hilly for 2.5 hours, 7 hill sprints going hard for 200m over the top.

Work was once again too much like hard work, I was hoping to get out on me bike after work but didn't have time so went out in the evening.

Changed the session slightly as I only had about an hour.  I've got a route of about 17 miles from Dalton to Lockwood, New Mill, Stocksmoor, Kirburton then back to Town.  It's got 6 small climbs of varying gradients on it so I used them for my efforts then gave it some stick sprinting for the 30 signs before Morrisons.

Saturday

Rest day planned.

Just the usual, work then Star Wheelers Go Ride in the afternoon followed by watching the Giro Team Time Trial on Eurosport.

Sunday

Plan says hilly ride for 5 hours.

Had a slight dilemma with today's ride with 4 options of what to do.

1.  8am ride with Star Wheelers who were doing the Strines.
2.  Steve Rigby Mem Road Race.  3/4 race.
3.  John May Mem Road Race E/1/2/3 race, would be good traning for Yorkshire Divs.
4.  Colne Valley MTB Challenge on me cross bike.

Ruled out the races as I felt mentally knackered after a hard week at work, & also decided that an MTB challenge might be a tad risky on me cross bike & I needed to stay in one piece for next Sunday.  It is a top event though organised by Star Wheeler Jonny Brook.

So up nice & early to meet the fast club run at St Georges Sq.

Strines run is a bit of a killer & one of the hillest rides around, we did the Strines first which is a series of very steep climbs from Langsett over to Ladybower Res, then Snake Pass, Cafe stop in Glossop then back over Holme Moss. 


I didn't fancy a cafe stop so added a loop on by missing out the Snake & going through Hope, Edale, up a rather steep hill then over to Chapel en le Frith before dropping back down to Glossop.  As I pulled up at the cafe the group had just set off up the hill so I chased & caught then up which was pretty easy as they were still digesting full english breakfasts, bacon sarnies etc.

Holme Moss was relatively easy with a nice tailwind to push us over the top, then dropped like a stone on the descent at about 54mph!  75miles in just under 5 hours top ride today:-)  Then back home for the Giro & Petacchi's slightly dodgy sprinting. 



A typical Sunday afternoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment