Monday 18 April 2011

First week's training

Quick update on last week's training then I'll do another post on the Brian Robinson a bit later.

Sunday

The plan says 60 mile road race which I am to ride as normal, easy peasy.  If normal is to miss the break & finish in the bunch then mission accomplished.  The event was the Bridlington CC Road Race for 2/3/4 riders, felt pretty good but was too far back when the shit hit the fan as about 20 2nd cat riders went up the road up the long climb to the finish, still did better then the previous week at the Pete Gannon Mem RR when I packed with 2 to go.

Monday

The plan says recovery ride or rest day.  Hmmmm wonder what I did on this day.  Actually I did get out on me cross bike & rode up to Newsome Junior School to help Yorkshire Go Ride Coach & Cyclo Cross legend Chris Young do some coaching with the Year 5 kids.  It was a good afternoon & the kids had a great time, hope to see some of them on Saturday at the Star Wheeler's Go Ride session, 3pm till 4pm only £1.50 what a bargain!  We also got our picture in the paper.

Tuesday

The plan says chain gang but use bigger gears, lower tyre pressure & stick 2 full water bottles on.  Well that was pretty hard work for me who normally uses easy gears.  Took a while to get warmed up, had heavy legs but soon got into it did turns pretty much all the way out & back & got 3rd in the sprint.

Wednesday & Thursday

The plan says rest days, good job really as the chain gang had broken me a bit.  Struggled at work a bit especially walking up any steps, well my walk is the hardest in the office;-)

Friday

The plan says go hilly for 2.5 hours, find a hill on a circuit & attack the climb & keep going 200 yards over the top.  Did this ride after work as I didn't have time to go out in the evening, went up the Farnley Tyas circuit where Star Wheelers do their Wednesday night circuit training organised by Mark Newby.

I rode a slightly shortened version turning left at the small industrial unit which makes the circuit about 2.5miles long.  Tough session this, as well as sprinting up the climbs I was trying to keep a decent pace up in between efforts.  Got through it but did struggle as my shoes were giving me some grief so wasn't very comfortable, I'll wear my other shoes next time. 

Rode over to New Mill via Fulstone which made the ride about 2 hours, although I'd eaten a lot during the day & during my warm up for the ride I was pretty empty by the time I got home.

Saturday

The plan says rest day.  Work, then sleep, then Go Ride for me, before an early night to get ready for the Brian Robinson challenge in the morning.

2 comments:

  1. If you want some extra training get transferred to Holmfirth where I think you'll find most walks are much harder! Even better - come and help us with some leafletting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got quite enough to do thanks

    ReplyDelete